What is Form I-751?

Form I-751 is used to petition to remove the conditions on a person’s green card status. One common example is when a foreign national who has been married for less than two years to U.S. citizen is approved for a green card. The person’s green card is issued conditionally for a period of two years. In the 90-day window immediately before the two-year green card expires the spouses must file a joint petition with supporting evidence to remove the conditions. There are possible waivers of the joint petition requirement in instances of divorce when there was a valid marriage, abuse, or extreme hardship.

Joint petitions, and particularly waivers of the joint filing requirement, can be complex. Again, it is strongly recommended to use qualified legal assistance.